Wow, seems like only 13 weeks ago it was Friday the 13th. Wouldn’t it be neat if we had another one in 13 weeks? Hmm, I bet we do!
Booo Haaa Haaa…. Mooo Haaa Haaaa…. OK, get over it. It’s just another fun day to create chaos in the world.
Last Friday the 13th I wrote a post —> Friday the 13th Oh the Abuse You Take
And last I checked, we all survived. Well, except that one lady……..Never mind, the FBI & CIA did a cover up on it to prevent world catastrophic events from occuring.
I was going to write a whole other post today, but will push it off till tomorrow, I just can’t pass up the opportunity to exploit this silly fear day. After all, what kind of humorist would I be if I let the moment slip by? Besides, tomorrow you will not find it as fascinating since you would have survived.
So for this Triskaidekaphobia Day, I thought I’d squeeze out a little bit more of my trivia kick pony I’ve been riding. (how’s that for mixing metaphors?)
I’d promise no more this week, but honestly….who the hell knows. I promise to T R Y……that’s all you get out of me.
So, with that said, how about I cull down all the trivia I found on it. In my defense it’s Friday’s fault, I found all this when looking for trivia for that silly day – I can’t help it if Friday’s greatest claim to fame (next to being the last day of work) is scaring the bee-jee-bees out of people)
Since I see you are on the edge of your chair (or falling asleep) I’ll jump right in….
1. Technically if you are afraid of Friday the 13th, you may have paraskavedekatriaphobia (also known as friggatriskaidekaphobia). Those are the scientific terms for fear of Friday the 13th. Triskaidekaphobia is fear of the number 13. Napoleon and President Herbert Hoover were said to be sufferers. President Franklin D. Roosevelt is said to have avoided travel on the 13th day of any month, and would never host 13 guests at a meal
2. More than 60 million people worldwide claim to be affected by a fear of Friday 13th. Some of them won’t go to work, drive cars or get out of bed on this day. Friday the 13ths have more call outs from work than any other Friday. (too bad all the bad drivers aren’t any of these people – they are still on the road)
3. The independent horror flick Friday the 13th was released in May 1980 and despite only having a budget of $550,000 it grossed $39.7 million at the box office in the United States. The remake of the original Friday the 13th film was released on Friday, February 13, 2009. (even worse? Like Jason, the films wont die! Seems like there is a new one every year)
4. Tupac Shakur died on Friday, September 13, 1996. (Yea, guess it wasn’t so lucky for him)
5. Fittingly, director of psychological thrillers Alfred Hitchcock was born on the 13th — Friday, Aug. 13, 1999, would have been his 100th birthday. (not making fun of him, he was awesome)
6. Lizzie Borden uttered a total of 13 words at her trial (“Yea, I did it, so what is the problem? Now, where’s my axe?” Just kidding, those weren’t them, I made that part up)
7. Apollo 13, 1970, the 13th mission launched from pad #39 (13 x 3), mission was aborted, after an explosion occurred in the fuel cell of their service module. The rocket had left launching pad at 13:13 CST and the date was April 13th. (hmm, I’m pretty sure most of those dates / times were known in advance.. where they tempting fate?)
8. Certain ocean liners will be held in dock until after midnight to appease passenger’s fears of setting sail on Friday the 13th (Was it a surprise to them they picked a cruise leaving on this day?)
9. If 13 was so bad, what about this.. There were 13 original colonies & the US Seal has 13 stars, bars, feather in the eagle’s tail. 13 bars in one claw & 13 olive branches in the other
10. Then again, a witches coven consists of 13 members and Tarot Card #13 is the Death Card depicting the Grim Reaper
11. Hmm, the more I think about it, There are 13 steps leading to the gallows & a Guillotine blade falls 13 feet
12. There are 13 knots in a hangman’s noose (Ok, maybe the last 3 facts are kinda creepy – yet fascinating to know)
13. This year is a special one for Friday the 13ths: There are three of them: Jan. 13, April 13 and July 13. The freaky thing? The dates fall exactly 13 weeks apart. That hasn’t happened since 1984. And will happen again in 2015. (Think of it this way..2 down, 1 to go)
Ok, ok, I hear the moaning and groaning now…. No more trivia junk… I think I can make it for a week or two. 😉
Now go out and brave the big bad world and WHAT EVER YOU DO!!!! Do not walk under that ladder or cross that black cat…
LOL just kidding… I’m sure the black cat has a white hair somewhere…. Or does it……
~~~till we laugh again~~~