I started playing Words for Friends months and months ago. A friend got me playing when it was just starting to take off. He and I had like 10 games going between us.Then when Facebook opened it up, new “friends” just started to discover what we had known. Next thing I knew, I maxed out to 20 games. So many friends, so little space to add new games.
I’m pretty competitive and in the beginning I hated losing to my friend who played Scrabble competitively. You know the type, the ones that use words you have never heard of? I mean really… Who uses the word QI? or ZOYSIA?
But one thing I am good at is picking up words. Especially those little suckers I can remember like HAJ or SUQ and score big!.
- So I thought I’d list a few of the things I’ve learned and pass them along to you new folks joining the Words for Friends Revolution
5 Things I’ve learned from Playing Words for Friends…
- I never thought I’d be waking up at 4am just to play a vocabulary game (I mean go to the bathroom)
- You will grow from 1 game with your friend to 3 in a matter of days since neither of you will think the other one hit the Rematch button
- Your friends and family will never play fast enough for you. What are they doing??? How dare they have a job, a life, better things to do???!! damn them!
- Not all friends and family are created equal – You have several groups you will play against
- The Word Game Challenged – You know the ones with the good decent words but no game play. It kills me not to take advantage of those open Triple Plays… It is such a tease! But in the end, the game will end before it gets half way if I have 400 points and they have 100 and we still have 24 tiles to go
- The Dang, How did you get Better Group – These folks grew out of the first group and started making me work for my win. My competitiveness comes out – Oh no you aren’t getting ahead of me by 20 points….. It really is a sickness….
- The Ones who MUST be using Cheats for Friends – I mean really. If you are semi close to me and you start whipping out words I know you can’t even pronounce never mind spell, you either have a smart mouse in your pocket or little help going on. Or how about the ones that always have a 7 letter word to play? Not cheating my behind…
- The Smart Ones – the Readers – Yes, those that actually read books and know words with more than one syllable. They will frustrate you. But I promise, they teach you new words so you can whip other peoples butts. You many not learn the meaning, but you will know how many points you can get!
- That I would delay going to bed until I cleared my board only to find 1 or 2 of my friends refuse to sleep until they are cleared as well and we both end up staying up an extra hour or two playing a stupid vocabulary game! (sorry, got a little riled up there)
Finally, there is Hanging with Friends. Yea, not so good at this one. You may not be able to beat me on Words for Friends but you can demolish me on this one. If I had a spell checker I might be ok. But it is only about words. Not so much up my alley. I think that is why I like Words for Friends and Scrabble. I like the strategy of them. I love blocking your moves. But hanging, I’m lucky if I get the word – BUTTER. I just can’t see the words. It is sad.
Well, if you haven’t started playing this obsession cuz you are too busy tending to your Farm(ville) I can say it is an excellent thinking game that will challenge you. I promise you will learn new words that you can amaze your friends with. Kind of like stupid pet tricks.
And if you want start this addiction, come find me either on Facebook or using my screen name – tadams4u. I’m always up to a new game. 😛
~~~~till we laugh again~~~